What are the expectations of Confirmation?
Confirmation is NOT an expectation of membership at Nativity. A youth doesn’t have to participate in the process if they are unwilling and/or unable. This is not a “have to” but a “get to”.
Confirmands are able to miss 3 of the 12 Wednesday evenings throughout the year, and are encouraged to attend their annual retreat to Luther Park in Danbury, WI. If a confirmand does miss more than 3 Wednesday evenings during the year, they will be expected to go through a missed lessons at home with a parent/guardian.
Confirmands are expected to complete 10 Service and 10 Growth Experiences throughout the program year.
- Service Experiences can be acquired by volunteering within or outside the Nativity community (so long as they are deemed appropriate and do not satisfy a requirement of another organization). Service opportunities will be made known to confirmands on a regular basis. After the Service Experience, confirmands should fill out a Service/Growth Experience Form, available on Wednesday evenings and at the Welcome Desk. Turn these forms in to Pastor Ben personally or his box in the church office.
- Growth Experiences can be acquired in two ways:
1) Participation in a Nativity Growth Opportunity and filling out a Service/Growth Experience Form.
2) Participation in worship and the completion of a Worship Experience Form; available at the Ushers’ Tables at the entrances to the Sanctuary. Turn these forms in to Pastor Ben personally or his box in the church office.
- Advocacy Experience is a special kind of Service/Growth opportunity where Confirmands participate in a service project, visit an organization to learn about good work being done in the community, or attend a workshop on a social justice subject. Confirmation Small Groups are expected to do this experience together. Kelly Sherman-Conroy will work with Confirmation Small Groups in deciding which experiences they want to participate in. For more information, contact Kelly at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: All yearly Service and Growth Experience expectations will be satisfied when a confirmand participates in one of Nativity’s summer Youth Service and Learning Trips (excluding the Confirmation Small Group Advocacy Experience expectation).
There is a suggested payment of $75.00 for each student, with a family maximum of $150. You may pay by check or by following the instructions on the confirmation page after you submit your registration.