November is the month when Nativity focuses on serving those experiencing homelessness.
This year we’re partnering with Beacon, a leader in creating supportive housing—services embedded in deeply affordable housing—right here in the Twin Cities. For more than 20 years, Beacon has been creating quality, affordable apartment homes that people want to live in throughout the Metro. And they will continue to step up until all people have a home. Beacon collaborates with congregations to achieve more than they ever could on their own. Beacon also organizes to remind elected officials and decision-makers that there is strong public support for new apartment homes in our neighborhoods. Beacon does their homework to find the best locations and to secure funding for homes that serve people others have not been able to help.
Before and after worship throughout the month of November you can stop by a table in the Commons, where members from Nativity’s Homelessness Community Outreach Team will share about their work and partnerships.
- Craft a prayer for those experiencing homelessness.
- Drop off a book for youth (14-18 years of age) experiencing homelessness.
- Sign up for a 1:1 conversation to learn more about their partnership with Beacon Interfaith Housing Collaborative.
- Sign up to make a meal for youth at LSS’ Safehouse Shelter for teens.
Inspirational teen and young adult books written by and/or for people of color are extremely sought after. A few examples of books we’re looking for are:
- THE HATE U GIVE by Angie Thomas
- THE COMPLETE PERSEPOLIS by Marjane Satrapi
- MALALA: MY STORY OF STANDING UP FOR GIRLS’ RIGHTS by Malala Yousafzai
- ONE OF THE GOOD ONES by Maika Moulite and Martiza Moulite
- OFF THE RECORD by Camryn Garret
- THE BOY WHO HARNESSED THE WIND by Bryan Miller and William Kamkwamba
Additionally, comic books and anime books are also popular for this age range. In general, any books written for teens/young adults would be much appreciated. Books can be new or used.
Email Gail: email@example.com for more information.